Freckles occur naturally in many people, but there is always an urge to lighten them in favor having an even complexion. Other may get freckles because of hormone issues or spending too much time in the sun. Whatever the reason there are ways to lighten their appearance or prevent more freckles if that’s what you so choose.
- For this, you must mix water and honey and warm it up. Leave it on your face for about 10-15 minutes and then wash it off with warm water. Alternatively, you can make a mask using honey and yogurt and leave it on for 30 minutes. The yogurt-honey mixture should only be applied to areas you want to lighten.
- Lemon juice has been used to lighten age spots and freckles for generations. For best results, apply the lemon juice at night. All you have to do is squeeze a lemon and apply the juice to your face using your fingers to massage it into your skin. Leave the juice on your skin for 10-15 minutes and then rinse with warm water. You should notice the difference over time.
- Fruit peels and masks. You can make a face mask using pineapple, strawberries and cucumbers. Leave this on your face for 15 minutes and then rinse off with warm water. For a fruit peel, blend kiwi and strawberries together and make sure the consistency is gummy. Let this mixture dry out completely, peel it off, and then rinse your face with water.
- Over several sessions, a stream of small particles lighten freckles by removing the skin’s top layer.
- Medical treatments. It’s important to consult with a physician if you want a more aggressive treatment to lighten freckles. If so, there is a laser removal procedure and chemical procedures are available, such as chemical peels.
- Skin-bleaching creams. Also called skin-lightening creams, some of these creams are available over the counter and can help reduce the appearance of freckles. Check the labels for the types of chemicals used so you can see which kind is right for you and be mindful of the following:
- Some creams are based on aloe vera and both moisturize and lighten skin. This type of cream is the most gentle.
- Creams with licorice extract are known for their skin lightening properties.
- Chemical-based creams that include oxybenzone or hydroquinone can be effective in lightening freckles, but one must use caution. First, test the cream on a small area of your skin and see how you react. Read the labels in case there are any side effects associated with a chemical-based cream.
Those with freckles may notice a few more of them in the summer, but they can go away during the winter. Besides trying some of these freckle removal techniques, it helps to try a few preventative measures such as wearing sunscreen and eating fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin C.